Table Tennis is one of the fastest growing sports in the world and every country is working hard to take this game to the new heights. So many schemes and plans are implemented by the different associations and ITTF around the globe for the betterment of this dynamic sport.
Today is World Table Tennis Day that is on 6th April, So lets talk about this game and here is some facts you must know about Table Tennis.
1. Table Tennis is most popular indoor sport in the world with 222 association and territories.
2. As we all know, China is dominating in this game but still the greatest player came from Sweden , Jan-ove-Waldner.
During his 30 year-long career as a professional player, he won 16 World Championship medals in singles and doubles combined as well as a gold and a silver medal at the Olympics, earning the nickname Mozart of Table Tennis.
3. The Guinness Book world record longest Table Tennis rally is between father and son Peter and Daniel Ives of England for 8 hour 40 minutes that is 32,000 total hits.
4. China made its first appearance in international competition in 1953. China won its first world championship title in 1959.
5. Ping Pong diplomacy used by US and China in 1971 to develop diplomatic relation where friendship matches played throughout the US between the both country’s National team.
6. Table tennis was banned in the Soviet Union from 1930 to 1950. The sport was believed to be harmful to the eyes.
7. Skilled athletes can slam a ping pong ball across the net at speeds surpassing 100 miles per hour.
In 1993, two players named Jackie Bellinger and Lisa Lomas Set a World Record for hitting a ping pong ball back and forth 173 times in one minute.
8. It has been suggested that makeshift versions of the game were developed by British military officers in India in around 1860s or 1870s, who brought it back with them.
9. An official hall of fame exists at the ITTF Museum. A Grand Slam is earned by a player who wins singles crowns at Olympic games, World champianship and World Cup. Jan-Ove-Waldner of Sweden first completed the grand slam at 1992 Olympic Games. Deng Yaping of China is the first female recorded at the inaugural Women’s World Cup in 1996.
10. In 1921, the Table Tennis Association was founded in Britain and International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) followed in 1926. London hosted the first official World Championship in 1926.
So these were some interesting and important facts about Table Tennis. As this game is growing , one day this sport will become most popular sport around the world.
#Wish You All Happy World Table Tennis Day#